Sunday, March 25, 2012

Advice MSDE/ACCESS

I wrote an app that uses MSDE. IT is VB.NET, and there are only 10 users
tops.
To make an MSDE installation and get the database working requires me, which
makes it not really a commercially distributable product.
Would I be better just using an MDB file? Seems like MSDE is really nice
and basically SQL but I need something that installs easy--i.e. my users can
install. I know I can easily install an MDB file.
Would the MDB file be sufficient for 10-20 users tops?
thanks,
Shane
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 02:36:37 -0500, SStory
<TheStorys@.TAKEOUTTHISSPAMBUSTERsofthome.net> wrote:

> Would the MDB file be sufficient for 10-20 users tops?
That depends on the complexity of your queries and the level of your
requirements. If you're only doing some SELECT statements and occasional
updates/inserts, an .mdb file is certainly enough. You could run into
troubles with locking mechanisms in MS Access though, so take care.
Installing MSDE is not a big deal, you just have to care for populating
the database yourself (ie: from your application) to make it easier for
your users.
Using SECURITYMODE and DBPWD(?) as setup parameters can even set up a
version of MSDE that runs similar to MSDE 1.0 (speaking of access to it)
Stefan
Give a man fire and he is warm for a day.
Set him on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment