Tuesday, March 27, 2012

advice on hard drive set up for 2005 sql server 64 bit

Hi
I built a server and I need some advice on reconfiguring the hard drives for
better sql server performance. Here are my current specs
2 Xeon 5160 Dual Core Hypertheaded Processors
8 gig of fd ram
Windows 2003 Server 64 bit
Sql Server 2005 64 bit
2 500 gig Sata II hard drives set up as Raid 1 at the hard ware level. They
are partitioned as 15 gig for the OS and the rest for my development
environment.
In my development testing I am working with databases starting at 30 gig and
can run upwards of 100 gig. After initial set up and the first round of
testing I quickly learned that I needed to move my tempDB onto the larger
partition. I also learned that I should move it on to a fast disk that isn't
part of the raid because it isn't necessary to backup. Additionally I read
that there is no need to put the system swap file on the raid and for better
performance it should be on a separate faster disk.
This is how I am thinking of reconfiguring the system
2 36 gig 10,000 rpm SATA I drives mirrored under raid 1 used solely for the
OS
1 174 gig 10,000 rpm SATA I drive used for the tempDB & system swap space
and the remaining 2 500 gig drives again set up on raid 1 for my development
database & environments.
does that sound better than my original set up ? if not I am open to
suggestions.
Also if I did move my OS to the new 36 gig would I need to do a complete
reinstall or could I do a back up and restore? I think it would be possible
using partition magic or a similiar tool.
thanks alotSounds improved. You may also want to put tempdb on two filegroups, one on
36GB and one on 174GB drives. I think the optimum for 2005 is 1 FG per CPU
(not counting hyperthreads)
TheSQLGuru
President
Indicium Resources, Inc.
"Coaster" <Coaster@.Coaster.net> wrote in message
news:OKqVNMxpHHA.960@.TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> I built a server and I need some advice on reconfiguring the hard drives
> for better sql server performance. Here are my current specs
> 2 Xeon 5160 Dual Core Hypertheaded Processors
> 8 gig of fd ram
> Windows 2003 Server 64 bit
> Sql Server 2005 64 bit
> 2 500 gig Sata II hard drives set up as Raid 1 at the hard ware level.
> They are partitioned as 15 gig for the OS and the rest for my development
> environment.
> In my development testing I am working with databases starting at 30 gig
> and can run upwards of 100 gig. After initial set up and the first round
> of testing I quickly learned that I needed to move my tempDB onto the
> larger partition. I also learned that I should move it on to a fast disk
> that isn't part of the raid because it isn't necessary to backup.
> Additionally I read that there is no need to put the system swap file on
> the raid and for better performance it should be on a separate faster
> disk.
> This is how I am thinking of reconfiguring the system
> 2 36 gig 10,000 rpm SATA I drives mirrored under raid 1 used solely for
> the OS
> 1 174 gig 10,000 rpm SATA I drive used for the tempDB & system swap space
> and the remaining 2 500 gig drives again set up on raid 1 for my
> development database & environments.
> does that sound better than my original set up ? if not I am open to
> suggestions.
> Also if I did move my OS to the new 36 gig would I need to do a complete
> reinstall or could I do a back up and restore? I think it would be
> possible using partition magic or a similiar tool.
> thanks alot
>|||I can guess that would be true, each cpu having it's own tempdb space to
use.
Thanks I'll do that
"TheSQLGuru" <kgboles@.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:uC3biexpHHA.1144@.TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Sounds improved. You may also want to put tempdb on two filegroups, one
> on 36GB and one on 174GB drives. I think the optimum for 2005 is 1 FG per
> CPU (not counting hyperthreads)
> --
> TheSQLGuru
> President
> Indicium Resources, Inc.
> "Coaster" <Coaster@.Coaster.net> wrote in message
> news:OKqVNMxpHHA.960@.TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment