Thursday, March 29, 2012

Advice on Simple Structured Sql Query (Search)

Hi All,
I have created a well structured cross relationship db.. To extract all
the details out is not a problem but i am trying to now include a
simple search to filter results.. Where is the best place to build the
query, within my .Net web app or within a sp itself..
My basic setup is a table with a list of jobs (Jobs_Jobs) and fields
(JobID, Title, Keywords) and then another table that lists the
locations of the jobs(Jobs_Locations) and fields(ID,JobID,LocationID)..
What i am then trying to do is include a keyword search and a location
search together, i need to make it boolean as well and split keywords
up and then search within these to make sure they are in the
locations.. In my head it seemed fairly approchable but cant seem to
grasp it and cant find any decent tutorials.. Could you please point me
in the right direction: Do i need to be using dynamic sql', Should i
be doing most of the work within .net
A typical search would be for:
Keywords: IT,Graduate
Within Location: 12,35,48
I can do one or the other but not combined.. I also dont know how to
split up the keywords to make them two seperate keywords..
If anyone can point me in the right direction as this is my last
hurdle.. On this project at least :)Have a look at
http://www.sommarskog.se/dyn-search.html and
http://www.sommarskog.se/arrays-in-sql.html
Roji. P. Thomas
Net Asset Management
http://toponewithties.blogspot.com
"ponyoo" <anthonykallay@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1133857887.366250.221060@.g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi All,
> I have created a well structured cross relationship db.. To extract all
> the details out is not a problem but i am trying to now include a
> simple search to filter results.. Where is the best place to build the
> query, within my .Net web app or within a sp itself..
> My basic setup is a table with a list of jobs (Jobs_Jobs) and fields
> (JobID, Title, Keywords) and then another table that lists the
> locations of the jobs(Jobs_Locations) and fields(ID,JobID,LocationID)..
> What i am then trying to do is include a keyword search and a location
> search together, i need to make it boolean as well and split keywords
> up and then search within these to make sure they are in the
> locations.. In my head it seemed fairly approchable but cant seem to
> grasp it and cant find any decent tutorials.. Could you please point me
> in the right direction: Do i need to be using dynamic sql', Should i
> be doing most of the work within .net
> A typical search would be for:
> Keywords: IT,Graduate
> Within Location: 12,35,48
> I can do one or the other but not combined.. I also dont know how to
> split up the keywords to make them two seperate keywords..
> If anyone can point me in the right direction as this is my last
> hurdle.. On this project at least :)
>

No comments:

Post a Comment