Sunday, March 25, 2012

Advice needed

I have an sql server db on a remote dedicated server that is open on
internet, for remote report writing.
The company that uses is it extremely large and well known, due to this the
sql server gets hammered by bogus logins.
10,000+ of them a day,.
Security wise its ok but the bloody error log files are huge 27-48 mb.
Because I logonto this server remotely atleast once a day and check logs, I
am finding it difficult to read them due to the size for vieving log file
in a TS session.
How can I create 1 error log a day for 7 days then recycle them, or atleast
create them into more manageble sizes.
Regards
DonIf your talking about the Sql Server logs then you can use
sp_cycle_errorlog.
Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP
"Don Grover" <spamfree@.assoft.com.au> wrote in message
news:e$C62CazDHA.1736@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
quote:

> I have an sql server db on a remote dedicated server that is open on
> internet, for remote report writing.
> The company that uses is it extremely large and well known, due to this

the
quote:

> sql server gets hammered by bogus logins.
> 10,000+ of them a day,.
> Security wise its ok but the bloody error log files are huge 27-48 mb.
> Because I logonto this server remotely atleast once a day and check logs,

I
quote:

> am finding it difficult to read them due to the size for vieving log file
> in a TS session.
> How can I create 1 error log a day for 7 days then recycle them, or

atleast
quote:

> create them into more manageble sizes.
> Regards
> Don
>

No comments:

Post a Comment