Sunday, March 25, 2012

Advice

I have an application that connects to my database and
stores in my database ICONS. The application is using the
data type SQL_VARIANT. Was wondering, is sql_variant "ok"
to use... is there anything better... how about pointers?
Can anyone give me some advice on this...
ThanxsIf you by icons mean images (pictures), then I guess you should be using the
image datatype or varbinary. Only
use sql_variant if you really need *different* underlying datatypes for each
row. I've never had to use
sql_variant, btw.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
"Claudia" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1696601c4172c$9b93c890$a101280a@.phx
.gbl...
> I have an application that connects to my database and
> stores in my database ICONS. The application is using the
> data type SQL_VARIANT. Was wondering, is sql_variant "ok"
> to use... is there anything better... how about pointers?
> Can anyone give me some advice on this...
> Thanxs

No comments:

Post a Comment