Thursday, March 29, 2012

Advice on SQL Server 2005 vs. Express Edition w/ Advanced Services

I've been using SQL Server 2005 Std. for my development work on a laptop w/ 2 GHz Celeron and 768 Mb RAM. Now that Express Edition has Reporting Services and Full-Text Search, would I be wise to just use it instead? I actually have both on my machine since Express Edition installed with VS 2005 Standard. Also, if I uninstall SQL Server 2005 Std. what will I lose? Thanks in advance.

-Mike

It depends what you want to do. SQL Express Advanced Services is not the same as Std, Std has more features (OLAP, Integration Services) richer features (better SSMS, better reporting including report builder) it also has less restrictions on memory, procs etc.

If you are only using this for development you should also be able to use Developer Edition which is < 50USD but is Enterprise Edition, with a no production use clause.

|||

I've decided to uninstall SQL Server 2005 Std. and try to work with Express w/ Advanced Services. I believe it will do all I need. I'm more concerned with performance on my laptop than features like OLAP, etc. If I gain any incite after using it for a while, I'll post back here. Thanks.

-Mike

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment